Wednesday, September 15, 2010

French Bread

This french bread turned out so yummy! It was soft and light. I swapped out 2 cups of flour for whole wheat. Make sure you add 1 cup of flour at a time the second time you add the flour. I only used 5 cups all together. Anyways, it is so yummy and makes two long loaves. I got the recipe from this site.

2 1/4 c warm water
2 Tbls. sugar
1 Tbls. yeast
1 Tbls. salt
2 Tbls. oil
5 1/2 - 6 c. flour (I used 2 cups wheat and 3 cups white)

Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Let proof or site until bubbles start to form. Then add salt, oil and three cups of flour (this is where I put in the two cups of wheat and 1 cup white). Mix well. Add in the remainder of flour. You don't want it to be to sticky or too dry. The dough should clean the sides of the bowl (I only used 5 cups of flour and it was perfect). Knead for a few minutes.

Let rest for 10 minutes. Knead for 10 seconds. Let rest for 10 minutes (do these steps five times). After it has rested the last 10 minutes divide in half. Roll on lightly floured surface in a rectangle of 9x13. Start rolling up like you would cinnamon rolls. Pinch the seam closed. Place seam side down on sprayed cookie sheet lightly dusted with corn meal. Repeat with other half of dough. You will have both breads on one cookie sheet. Cut three diagonal slashes on top of dough. Let rise 30 minutes or longer. Brush with egg wash (1 egg and 1 Tbls water). Bake at 375* for 30 minutes or until golden.

Yummy!

I cut mine up and spread softened butter onto it that I had mixed with 1/2 Tbls or so of parsley and 1 tsp. or so of garlic powder. Then I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top and cooked it on a griddle but you could broil it.

No comments:

Post a Comment